Thirty-three countries*, INTERPOL, the Joint Research Centre (JRC), the European Anti-Fraud Office (OLAF), the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) joined forces in the Europol-coordinated operation Viribus for a massive crackdown on the trafficking of doping materials and counterfeit medicines. The operation, led by the Italian NAS Carabinieri and co-led by the Financial Unit of the Hellenic Police (Ελληνική Αστυνομία), is the largest action of this kind ever.
Overall results during the entire operation:
- 3.8 million illicit doping substances and counterfeit medicines seized (seizures included doping substances, dietary supplements, medicines and sport and food supplements);
- 17 organised groups dismantled;
- 9 underground labs disrupted;
- 234 suspects arrested;
- 839 judicial cases opened;
- Almost 1 000 individuals reported for the production, commerce or use of doping substances.
Read full article here.